Saturday, November 07, 2009




Standing in line at the Post Office the other day, I found myself tapping my heels together and wishing for home. The line was long, lunch hour on a Monday, with only one window open to serve all of our needs. The box I was sending to Germany for Christmas was feeling heavy after awhile, people were clearing their throats, shuffling feet and feeling generally discontent with spending so much time standing in line, which brought me to my thoughts of home.

I begin to picture our house, warm fire crackling, soft jazz on the stereo, cookies baking in the oven, kitty curled up on the couch. Ahh, how I long to be home. My thoughts then begin to wander farther back - to a November afternoon in 1975.

The school bell rings, doors fly open and we all scramble our way out of Stella Mayfield Elementary School into a bright, crisp autumn day. Coats are buttoned up, mittens pulled on as thirty 2nd graders mingle with the rest of the grade-schoolers, calling out to our friends, laughing and jostling as we each head our own ways home. In this tiny rural community in the 70's, we are safe to walk home alone, knowing that everyone we meet along the way is looking out for us. It takes a community to raise a child was such a true statement during this era. If we were naughty on the way home, rest assured that Mom would know before we got there.

I meander home, never in a big hurry. Too many leaves to crunch and crackle under my feet, too many bugs to watch poke along. When I do arrive, I push open the door to the smell of fresh baked cookies and a Mama's love.

Ahh, how I long to be home again, and eight years old, for just one more day...

9 comments:

Mary said...

Paula,

You brought back some sweet memories by posting yours. Thanks, my friend. I needed that this morning. Have a great weekend.

Going now to check out the previous post.

Blessings,
Mary

Love Bears All Things said...

Me, too!
Mama Bear

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

That was a great posting....What nice memories. It made me think of my second grade year and the little town I grew up in. Thanks.
-- Jodi

Twisted Fencepost said...

What a sweet post!
I want to "go home" with you!!!

Unknown said...

I love this post! Elgin was such a great town to grow up in!

Paula said...

I'm right there with you, Paula.... this time of year makes me wish I had a time machine... does that sound crazy?
Thanks for sharing your childhood memory today.

happy zombie said...

What IS IT with that post office??!! I've kicked the downtown PO habit and go to the one in Warrenton. Much further to drive, but worth it. Not only are they fast, but they're so darn friendly too. I LOVE going to the Warrenton post office. Honestly, it's a treat. Night and day between the two PO's.

Should I ever have the misfortune of being in the one you were in... in that perpetual long line... I will have images of this beautiful post in my mind to keep me company.

Sinclair said...

I wholeheartedly agree!!! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

CatieAn said...

hi Paula
great post! I was back in grade school at progress elementary!!
SO fun. I also hate going to the post office at any time....seems like there is always only ONE clerk
and a LONG line.....it will only get worse as dec draws near.