Friday, February 18, 2011

Snow Moon


Full moon
Originally uploaded by ConnyLundstrom

Tonights full moon is known as the Snow Moon, named such because February typically has the heaviest snowfall of any month.  Until I got my new calendar this year, I didn't really know about each month's full moons having different names.  I'm really having fun finding out the reasons behind each of these full moon names.   This month The Farmers Almanac had the information I was looking for.  Here it is:

'For centuries, full moons have been given specific names by various cultures and civilizations from around the world. These special moon names helped people keep track of the seasons and were often inspired by nature and agriculture.


Since the heaviest snow usually falls during the month of February, Native American tribes of the north and east most often called this month’s full moon the Full Snow Moon. Some tribes also referred to it as the Full Hunger Moon or Little Famine Moon, since harsh weather conditions in their areas made hunting very difficult. Forced to gnaw on bones and sip bone marrow soup for sustenance, the Cherokee named it the Full Bony Moon.


Around the globe, the Celts called February’s moon the Moon of Ice, while the more optimistic Chinese named it the Budding Moon in anticipation of spring.'


It's a bit too cloudy here this evening for a good glimpse, but I hope you all have a chance to howl at tonights Snow Moon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was noticing the moon tonight on my way home. The skies are clear here so it is a perfect view. It was beautiful. Thanks for this tidbit of info. Very interesting!

Adrienne said...

I had no idea the moons were named either. Thanks for this little bit of history!

Unknown said...

Oh how interesting!
I was out on this cold & snowy night. The moon was bright orange.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Well I got to see it, but didn't get a chance to take any pictures. :(
We haven't had one snowflake fall in February. Knock on wood.
The temps here have been unseasonably warm.