Thursday, October 11, 2007

I LOVE MY FIREPLACE!!!


Noah and I are enjoying a stormy Sunday morning here in front of the fireplace. This is the fireplace in Riff and I's bedroom. I absolutely love it. So warm and cozy. We've always said we wanted a fireplace in our bedroom someday and, by golly, that someday is here. How does the other half live, I ask you?!
The little rocking chair that Noah and I are sitting in is a birthday present to myself that we picked up in an awesome antique/quilting store in the little town of Toledo. The chair reminds me of my Great Grandma for some reason and we really needed one for just the reason that you are seeing in the picture, so we popped it into the back of the suburban and drug it home with us. We do have a tendancy to drag things home... I plan on re-upholstering it sometime, though it will be my first try at that task. Any pointers anybody has would be much appreciated.
My mom used to sell and paint a lot with Tri-Chem. Does anybody remember that? Did you ever do it yourself? Anyway, my new little rocking chair makes me think of a tri-chem picture that my mom did at one time. It had a lady rocking her baby and a saying that went something like this:
"Quiet down cobwebs,
Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby
and babies don't keep."
UPDATE: Mary from Mary's Writing Nook popped over and reminded me of the rest of the words to this little poem. After reading them, I can't believe I ever had forgotten. Here you are~
"Cleaning and Scrubbing can wait til tomorrow
for babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow;
So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep"
Ah, yes, that's it!
Goes the same for Grandbabies, you know. You can find me and Noah right here, rocking...

14 comments:

Jeni said...

Oh my - I saw that little poem ages ago and loved it then - makes a whole lot more sense to me now too with the grandchildren around ya know!

Anonymous said...

Oh, lovely fireplace! It's perfect weather for just such a scene. Enjoy these moments Grandma! :D

Jodi Renshaw said...

Wht a gorgeous photo of the two of you. I see that you are taking him all in right now - that is so wonderful. Enjoy it all. I am so happy for you!

Kisses for Noah,
Jodi

Unknown said...

You are so blessed to have a fireplace in your bedroom. We don't even have heat in ours!!! One of these days though.... What a lovely picture this is. I remember the Tri-Chem painting you speak of. Have a lovely time with your grandbaby.
Love,
Melissa

kansasrose said...

Hey Paula! Wow so much has happened for ya since I last visited. Congrats on your new adorable grandson Noah! What a precious pic of you rocking your grandbaby in front of your lovely fireplace. You are blessed. Love, Jenny xxxooo

Anonymous said...

I love that picture!
Your fire place makes it so homey!
Cozy & warm!

Anonymous said...

A fireplace in the bedroom - how wonderful! It truly makes your bedroom a sanctuary. And I bet cute little Noah agrees.

Shelby said...

Oh I simply love the fireplace!! And I adore the art above your mantle of the beach.

aaaaaaaawwwwwww... I am now relaxed :)

Adrienne said...

Paula - You are so blessed to have a fireplace in your bedroom! A perfect place for you and Noah to rock and cuddle for a long time to come. My dream is to someday have one in our room, if we ever get to do the remodeling we want to do.

Yes, I remember Tri-Chem. I had a bunch of them and did some things. And the poem is special to me - it came to my attention when our daughter was a newborn. In Astoria! I always wanted to embroider it and put it in my house but never did. Too busy to slow down and do anything but keep my sweetheart and babies close by and keep my home comfy for the four of us.

~Adrienne~

Anonymous said...

How very sweet and wonderful. There is nothing like a fireplace in the bedroom. (I also love lighthouses and enjoyed the post below).

Mary said...

A beautiful photo of you and the baby. The poem you quoted from goes like this:

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait til tomorrow
for babies grow up we learned to our sorrow
So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

And it's true. Grandma always said the dust and dirt would be there long after she'd died. Grandma always had time for babies.

Liquid Sky Arts said...

I'm so envious! I was actually just daydreaming about a bedroom fireplace this afternoon... how wonderful! :)

Terri said...

You have a fire place in your bedroom???? What could be more romantic then that????
Lucky girl!!!
Terri

Cris said...

Love your fireplace too... it feels cozy. And your bamboo couch is beautiful.