Wednesday, December 03, 2008


December 1st to Christmas
Is the longest time
of year.
Seems like Old Santa
will never appear.
Untie one treat
every night
when the Sandman
casts his spell;
Christmas will be here
By the time you reach the bell.

This little poem was on a long felt advent calendar type thingy-ma-bobber that we had when I was a small child. It was a long red felt strip that ended in a bell; the poem was on the bell. There were 24 ties down the strip of felt that every year Mom would tie 4 lifesavers to each of the ties. (There were four of us kids at that time). Every night, starting December 1st, before bed we took turns reading the poem and untying the treat. I loved it when it was my turn ~ not only did I get to read the poem out loud, I also got to choose my lifesaver first. Butter rum was my favorite, with the green one's coming in a close 2nd. The wintergreen lifesavers were always fun, not that I liked the taste a whole lot, but when you put your head under the dark covers and crunched them, they would spark a little bit. We looked forward to this fun Christmas tradition every year. The grandbabies are just little guys this year, but I think I'll make duplicates of our bell for them all next year. Passing on our childhood traditions.


What Christmas memories do you have that you looked forward to every year?

11 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

Those elves are adorable.
Every Christmas Eve we watch The Polar Express. Then I read the story The Night Before Christmas.
My daughter has started reading it to her daughter, too.

Mary said...

Paula,

I know just the type of advent you had, though we never had advent calenders when I was a child.

Michelle has always got them for the boys. A few years ago I bought them a Lego advent calender and they loved it. This year Lego had a new one out, so I got it for them and they were delighted.

Take care, my friend. Love your elves.

BTW, I posted your book on Tuesday. I hope you enjoy it.
Blessings,
Mary

Love Bears All Things said...

This is a good memory. I had forgotten about the butter cream lifesavers and I do like Wintergreen. I still have those sometimes. I buy them in a bag, individually wrapped. I wonder if we can still get the others.
I think it would be wonderful to make one of these for your grandchildren. It is always good to pass on traditions. I see lots of versions of the advent calendar with the places for treats. I think I made something for my children one year but didn't continue it for some reason.
Mama Bear

Jeni said...

I think those elves and the idea with them, the poem and lifesavers is really neat. I'd like to do something like that for Maya and Kurtis but right now, I'm way too bogged down in my other projects, ya know. Always next year though if I plan ahead a bit better.

Adrienne said...

Oh what great memories! I used to spend every other Christmas with my dad (parents divorced) and his families tradtion was to open all our presents on Christmas Eve and then go to the midnight service. It was always great ... until Chrismtams morning! The hype was over ;-)

Mimi said...

I love your tradition...

My daughter has 25 decorated bags and each day the kids take turns opening the bad for the day...and sharing what is inside...

I love both your traditions...

Unknown said...

I remember that ornament.

We have a Christmas countdown paper chain and we do an Advent study every year.

Unknown said...

Yes, I remember doing that.
It was very exciting!
My favorite thing to do at Christmas is driving arround looking at Christmas lights.

Adrienne said...

Hi Paula -
I agree - it's a L-O-N-G time to wait! When my children were little I bought an Advent calendar one year and thought I would start a tradition. It would be the first of many. We opened one and then another but about the third morning I got up to find that all the little doors had been opened. When I inquired as to the culprit - and the reason - my daughter who was about first grade at the time proudly confessed to the deed. Why? She couldn't wait to see the Baby Jesus! How could I find fault with that one. We carefully tucked the doors back into place the best we could and tried to be surprised each morning as we opened them in anticipation of Christmas. She is the mother of three and her youngest is a duplicate of her mommy!
~Adrienne~

Tipper said...

Cute elves! I loved your memory Paula-what a neat tradition. My brother and I use to open one present on Christmas Eve saving the rest for the next morning.

Charity Grace said...

I adore your little elves. My mom used to have some just like them and I'm always keeping my eye out for some when thrifting.