Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Photographs & Memories

Photographs & Memories
Christmas cards you sent to me
All that I have are these
to remember you...

Photographs & Memories
All the love you gave to me
Somehow it just can't be true
That's all I've left of you...

-Jim Croce

Memorial Day weekend...
What better way than to spend it reminiscing with loved ones. I come from a fairly large family, and as many of us that could make it this year converged on my brother Todd's house. Stacey, Willie, Dawn, Joshua, Brittany, Shilo, Tommy- We missed you! Much to the disgust of my teenage son and nephews, we spent much time gathered in the back yard talking of "dead people", "used to be's" and of course the "remember whens..."

It was also the first Memorial Day that we have all gathered at the cemetary with armloads of flowers to celebrate the lives of our Mom and Grandparents. If they can no longer be with us, at least they are together. My dad says that poor Grandpa gets no peace, as he is TRYING to rest between Grandma and Mom.

Todd and Gidge just recently moved back to Elgin, the tiny Northeastern Oregon town that we grew up in. It is always bittersweet to return home after so many years away. Todd couldn't be happier than to be home. He radiates with the pleasure of stomping through the same mountains and rivers that he grew up on and running into old acquaintences, be they young or old. You can see his delight in the knowledge that Shelby, their two year old, beautiful daughter, will grow up in these same mountains, walking the same paths and fishing the same rivers as her daddy, and her grandpa, and her great grand-dad did. There is a settling in going on in their house. You can almost hear the family roots sigh with pleasure as they settle back into the Union county soil.

May not be long before Dad and Sharon join them there. Gidge's parents will be moving up in a few months, also. Looks as if Shelby will be able to grow up surronded by loving Grandparents, as we did. Time marches on...

May you be blessed with memories and roots...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I sure wish we could have been there, but in some way's I almost feel as if I was. I've been having all the warm, cozy thought's of home, as if all is right with the world.
Next year we have to be there!
Thought's of Mom, Grandma, & Granpa keep poping into my head. Do you think they are thinking of us?

Paula said...

Of course they are! They were with ALL of us this weekend.