Sunday, December 17, 2006

On a Stormy Night...







We survived last Thursday's incredible storm. It was another Pacific Northwest winter storm that would have been classified as a hurricane elsewhere. Winds were clocked hitting our coast at well over 100 mph., leaving havoc in their wake. Five people lost their lives to this little storm. Three in Washington and two right in Seaside. Please say a prayer for their families. Trees and power lines are still down all over. Many people are still without power as I write this.
The power for us went out about 2pm Thursday afternoon. After doing two escrow signings by candlelight (very accomadating, dont'cha think??), I came home to elk steak on the grill and mashed potatoes made on the coleman stove. Lights out for us turned into a rouzing game of Yahtzee played by the hiss and spit of a coleman lantern. The dice were not good to me, but Shilo and Riff both walked away with Yahtzees in their pockets. Dustin and I did not fare as well, but we were good losers. It was a fun night for us as we were one of the lucky ones whose power (and heat!) were restored about 4 am. My boss, Mary, lives right behind me and still does not have power.
May you all be blessed with electricity and heat...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our power went out at the same time and was restored around 6 am. Fortunately, we have a wood-stove so we were able to stay warm and eat. But there are 7 people on my street still without power. Sending up prayers of warmth for them!

Glad you guys are OK! And I take it from all the writing things are going forward with your house!! (Did you sell the one you're in, too?)

Paula said...

Wende, My post is a little misleading! I am an escrow officer, thus the signings. Still in negotiations with the seller on the other house. She is playing games with us now. We should have a final answer by tomorrow sometime. I want the house, so my fingers are crossed!!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your storm. A beautiful white winter wonderland blanket has covered my garden right now.

I love playing the dices.

Anonymous said...

Weird how some have The Big E and others don't. On Friday I could see you guys (including Wende, just inches away) had power, and we didn't. Ours came back on close to 1pm and it was GLORIOUS!

I feel so bad for everyone still without power and heat.

Shelby said...

take care in that stormy weather! :)

Dana Marie said...

So glad you survived the storm ok. elk steaks on the grill isn't too bad, eh? We had a terrible storm in October- the newpeope dubbed it the "October Surprise Storm" because we got 2 feet of snow. Surprise! Just about the whole region was out of power- some folks for over a week. Thanksfully, we were proctected and never lost power- so our home became a hotel for friends a family!