Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sunday Travels....


Flying High ~
I just ran across this picture again that I had taken last September in Vancouver, British Columbia. I took it, planning on enlarging it for my brother although I have yet to do that. Todd loves the Grumman Goose planes and connects memories of living in Ketchikan, Alaska with them. We were just little tykes and he is two years younger than I am, so not sure how he remembers it all so well. Dad worked for Alaska Airlines and I remember a couple of flights in these planes. One time that is not real clear I think stands out more from the old photographs than from my actual memory. We flew, along with an aunt and uncle and cousins, from Ketchikan to some island off of the bigger island of Rivillagagato (sp?) that Ketchikan resides on. The island that we went to had a couple of little cabins that we stayed in. I can't recall at all whether or not there was electricity or running water. I have a picture of me sitting on the little front step, I must have been about four, my blonde hair cut in a paige-boy, a pink sweater, jeans and little black rubber boots on. I almost think I remember the plane coming back to pick us up...

My next memory is of standing at the living room window, tears rolling down my chubby cheeks as I watch my two bigger sisters walk off to school. I want to go! Why can't I go? My Daddy is on his way out the door for work, but turns around, picks me up, and away I go with him. What a treat! I'm treated like a princess for the day, (or maybe it was just for a couple of hours). A pilot named Chuckie takes me up in his Gruman Goose plane, we buzz the town. There's my house! There's Daddy's work! We land in the water as smooth as silk, walk back up the dock to the office, a smile stuck firmly in place on my four year old face. I head back home with my Daddy, my arms full of Alaskan Airline color books and my very own yellow wings pinned to my coat. What a beautiful day it has been. I'm so glad I'm too little to go to school. I would have missed out on such a great adventure!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great memory, Paula. Thanks for sharing it. I've never heard any of your stories from Alaska.

Melissa

Anonymous said...

Wow, What a great story!!!
I had forgotten about those airplanes!
I want one!!!

ancient one said...

We must learn to be flexible. When opportunity comes ... take it. I remember a short ride I took with my husband. I didn't feel well and tried to get out of it. He insisted I go. He was going to pick up a tractor disk. When we got to the man's home, he told us we had to go back to his uncle's farm to get the equipment. It was near an old house. The man took us through the house and showed us where the slaves were kept underneath the house... there were fireplaces down there and bars on the windows. I enjoyed that tour so much... and I almost missed it.