Saturday, June 21, 2008

Windowboxes....Finally!


Here in the Pacific Northwest we are experiencing the coldest June on record in 30 years or some crazy number like that. Although other parts of the country are in the midst of heatwaves, we can't seem to get above about 52 degree's most days. As I'm writing this, I can see down the street to the streetlight where the rain is coming down at a windblown angle and the fog is drifting by. I think we're stuck in a perpetual November. Anyone for turkey and pumpkin pie? We did have some beautiful sunny afternoons this past week so I finally got my six windowboxes planted and put up. I just love windowboxes, they dress up the front of the house so much and look so cheerful and pretty. I go out every evening to talk to my little baby flowers, trying to coax them into staying strong and to let them know that summer will surely come. Just a little longer, my darlings....






The poppies are blooming and the cosmo's and lavendar that line the front walk are starting to look beautiful despite the chilly temps.


My little veggie and herb garden is growing but ever so slowly... I'm keeping the faith that by autumn we will be enjoying some fresh zuchinni and summer squash.
I'll keep you posted on the progress of this tiny garden.

May you all be blessed with happy gardening days and even happier flowers...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The garden and the flowers maintained by you are really appreciable because they are looking so nice and they also inspires me to make and maintain such a beautiful garden.

Terri said...

Summer has been slow to start here as well. I probably won't get my window boxes up until we get back from vacation!

Love the poppies! Mine are only a couple of inches tall! Everything is so SLOW here this year!
Love,

Terri

Shelby said...

Makes me think of the question, " . . . how does your garden grow?"

Yours is going to be fabulous - I can feel it. You have a passion for it. That'll carry it through. Your flowers are great in the windows.

Last year when I had a garden, I talked to my little plants and flowers too. I truly did.

I don't have a garden this year. Too busy I guess with work and such. I wish I did.

I enjoyed reading about the cool June you guys are having in Astoria. It's so hot here. Too hot. Unbearable. I'd rather be where you are. I can close my eyes and see the rain and feel the cool wind.

And I think I hear a fog horn.

- -

Cheers to the blooms :)

Happy Zombie said...

I love your window boxes! I want some on my house so bad. I'm getting there. Well... working on Tom getting there. Every time we drive by a house with window boxes, I do the ol'... "oh look, how pretty those window boxes are...". One day. For now I will just enjoy your beautiful window boxes! And I have a hunch your baby flowers are listening to your encouraging words.

You yard and flowers look fantastic! Happy SumWinter!

Anonymous said...

Your window boxes look great! If I could I'd send you some warmth from here!

Love Bears All Things said...

I wouldn't mind a couple of 52 degree days about now.
Mama Bear

Unknown said...

Your window box's are so pretty!!
I love those Stars that are beside them to. It looks like you are all ready for the Fourth of July!

Anja said...

How weird the weather can be... we've had pretty nice weather over here actually. Just wait, summer will come. The plants will grow. You just have to wait a little :)

Jodi Renshaw said...

That herb garden is going to look amazing when it fills out. Nice work!

Stay warm...
Love,
Jodi

tlchang said...

Well, it's sunny today, if not exactly warm (especially after a week of New England June weather). On the plus side, things didn't 'cook' and die while I was gone, on the negative side - they didn't grow much either. Ah well...

Thanks for visiting my blog, and here's hoping for a Pacific Northwest summer sometime soon!

Wila (aka Ali) said...

Your flowers are so beautiful! I was the one person in my family to NOT get the "green thumb". I can't even keep basic houseplants or flowers on my deck going. And your kitty is too adorable!

ancient one said...

cold or not... your gardens look so lush... and your window boxes are beautiful...love the stars and flags!!

Adrienne said...

Hi Paula -
Your window boxes are wonderful. I'm still waiting for mine that were promised for Mother's Day several years ago. To be fair, there have been several major projects since then that have been done. Someday I may get my window boxes. Until then I'll enjoy yours!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for leaving your sweet comments. I always enjoy a visit with you. I'm still hoping to get your waay one of these days. Until then I'll just check in here to see what you're doing. Hope you can get to Timberline soon. It's worth the drive.
~Adrienne~