Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Stills - Grain Elevator


This weeks Sunday Stills Challenge was actually supposed to be either water towers or silo's. Here in Astoria we have one water tower and it's brand new and boring with power lines going in every which direction. I couldn't get even a decent shot of it, not that there's much to admire. It does sit on the same spot of our old water tower that was used in the scene from Kindergarten Cop where the little boy climbed the water tower towards the end of the movie, but that tower was torn down a couple of years ago and this new one put up. Anyway, after all that rambling on, I'm not even showing a picture of it. What you see is the PGG grain elevator that's in my little hometown of Elgin, Oregon. Elgin is a little tiny farming and logging community in the Blue Mountains of Oregon. I love this grain elevator because it signifies home to me. No matter how long I've been gone, this little town will always be home to me. It's in my heart.

19 comments:

Holly said...

interesting!

Love Bears All Things said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who finds these kinds of things worth photographing. I've been thinking of taking a shot of the cotton gin that is just down the road. As with your water tower, I'm not sure how long we'll have it sitting there. Progress, you know. Oh, they'll still have to gin cotton but I'm sure there are more modern ways to do that.
Mama Bear

MariesImages said...

very nice!

Anonymous said...

Love your hometown silo.

Far Side of Fifty said...

That grain elevator almost has a face on it with the two windows and the sign! Great photo! Thanks for taking us to your town:)

Steffie said...

I can very well imagine you getting attached to it. It looks pleasant and friendly and has a kind of symbolism of its own.

Ed said...

Nice shot and great story..:-)

Regular Guy said...

Nice picture and nice story.

Unknown said...

I love this. We don't have that type of farm in our area so I seldom see grain elevators.

Martha said...

Neat photo - would have liked to see the old water tower. Thanks for stopping by :-)

thecrazysheeplady said...

I can see that being a homing signal!

Sweet P said...

What a great reminder of small agricultural towns across the country. I totally understand how it is so important to you.

VioletSky said...

Grain elevators like that are disappearing, too (so I've heard) so you'll be glad of this photo.

flowerweaver said...

That's nice to have a town icon like that!

Mary said...

Nice shot, Paula. I enjoyed your rambling. lol Why they tear down things that have character and replace them with eyesores, I'll never know.

Hope things are good at your house.

Blessings,
Mary

zulluzoe said...

yep,nice pic and interesting story :-)

Kelly said...

Sweet story...and I love elevators too!

Unknown said...

That is my favorite grain elevator. Oh, I wish I could live there. Of coarse when I did I thought I had to go somewhere elnse. What a dummy I was.
My blogging isn't working very well, using my phone as a modem is very slow.

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

Nice!!!!