Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Turn the Page...Tuesday

It's time for Turn the Page...Tuesday hosted by Adrienne of Some of a Kind.  I actually got a lot of reading done this past month due to some ugly spring weather and not feeling quite up to par for much of the month.  Quite a good list of reading too, with no books that were a chore to wade through.  I've picked a couple of them to tell you about, so here we go....

The Purple Parasol by George Barr McCutcheon is my sweet old hardback that I pulled off of my dusty shelves to read in May.  What a pleasure it was!
'Young Rossiter did not like the task.  The more he thought of it as he whirled northward on the Empire State Express the more distasteful it seemed to grow.'

Sam Rossiter was a young attorney, fresh out of Yale, who workes for a prestigious law firm in New York.  Their wealthiest client is an older man by the name of Godfrey Wharton who is married to a young, beautiful wife who seems to have fallen in love with someone else.  Mr. Wharton wants the law firm to follow his wife and find out the truth once and for all.  Being the newest member of the firm, Sam is sent out on this distasteful mission.  He was told that he would know Mrs. Wharton by her youth and the purple parasol she would be carrying, so he sets out to follow her, finding her at the train station where she is headed for her romantic trip with her lover.  Sam finds that the young couple are using assumed names and as he checks into the lodge where their party is staying and gets to know the guests, he himself seems to fall in love with the young beauty. 
Oh my!  What will happen?  Has their been some mistake?  Can this sweet young girl really be married to that nasty old rich man?  You'll have to read this delightful old book to find out!

I love the smell and feel of old books and this one was just perfect.  My version was published in 1906 and has the most charming illustrations ever.  It is a very quick short read, only 108 pages long and quite fun.


Nefertiti by Michelle Moran was loaned to me by a friend from work.  I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it, then Shilo read it as well.  It was a fascinating time in history, so we then got a Nefretiti National Geographic documentary from Netflix to learn a bit more.  Really interesting stuff!

'When the sun set over Thebes, splaying its last rays over the limestone cliffs, we walked in a long procession across the sand.  In a twisting line that threaded between the hills, the viziers of Upper and Lower Egypt came first, then the priest of Amun, followed by hundreds of mourners.  The sand cooled rapidly in the shadows.  I could feel the grains between the toes of my sandals, and when the wind blew under my thin linen robe, I shivered.  I stepped out of line so I could see the sarcophagus, carried on a sledge by a team of oxen so the people of Egypt would know how wealthy and great our crown prince had been.  Nefertiti would be jealous that she'd had to miss this.'

From the back cover:
Nefertiti and her younger sister, Mutnodjmet, have been raised in a powerful family that has provided wives to the rulers of Egypt for centuries.  Ambitious, charismatic, and beautiful, Nefertiti is destined to marry Amunhotep, and unstable young pharaoh.  It is hoped that her strong personality will temper the young ruler's herectical desire to forsake Egypt's ancient gods.
From the moment of her arrival in Thebes, Nefertiti is beloved by the people, but she fails to see that powerful forces are plotting against her husband's reign.  The only person brave enough to warn the queen is her younger sister, yet remaining loyal to Nefertiti will force Mutnodjmet into a dangerous political game-one that could cost her everything she holds dear.

Historical fiction based on fact is my favorite genre and this book was wonderful.  I will definately read more of Michelle Moran in the future.


 
Last but not least is Leaving Protection by Will Hobbs.  This book came my way by my sister, Stacey, of Stacey's Treasures.   She had reviewed it a few months ago, then given it away and I was the lucky comment winner.    I would like to pass on that favor and give this book away once again to someone who would like it.  Just tell me in your comment that you would like it and I will draw one of you and send it your way.

Leaving Protection is a young reader book, written well and with quite a bit of intensity to it. 
From the back cover:
Raised in the island world of Southeast Alaska, sixteen-year-old Robbie Daniels jumps at the chance to work as a deckhand on a salmon troller captained by the legendary fisherman Tor Torsen.  Catching king salmon from dawn till dusk, Robbie is living his dream-until he discovers his mysterious captian's dark secret.  Tor is illegally searching the coastline for historic metal plaques buried by early Russian explorers.  When Robbie learns the value of these hidden treasures, he fears he may know too much to survive.  Tor's wrath and a violent storm at sea put Robbie's courage and wits to the ultimate test.

Just let me know if you would like Leaving Protection and I'll pass it on just as Stacey did!

Stop by Adrienne's to see what others are reading this month!


6 comments:

Adrienne said...

wow! These all sound so good! I have already 'bought' The Purple Parasol for my kindle (it was free). I can't wait to read it. I love historical fiction too - I might have to try to check this one out as well. The last book sounds like an interesting read being told from the teenagers perspective - throw me in the pot for the drawing!

Unknown said...

Was "The Purple Parasol" made into a movie. I remember watching an old movie with Jimmy Stewart in it & this story line. It was a very good movie.
"Neferiti is on my to read list.
I hope you are feeling better!

Bonnie said...

Looks like a great list. I am a little behind on my reading because of the end of school flurry. I, too, love old books. I love thinking about all the people who have touched it. Happy Reading!

Mary said...

Paula, All of the books sound interesting. I've done quite a bit of reading recently and have enjoyed a series by author, Leisha Kelly. She was new to me. I know you would enjoy them. The first in the series is called, "Emma's Gift."

I went online last night to find out if Ms. Kelly had written any other books and found that she and her son were killed in a car accident in January. A terrible tragedy and the loss of an excellent writer.

~ The Jolly Bee ~ said...

You're plowing through books....I sensed love in the air in "The Purple Parasol" -- even before I read your review.

Jenny said...

Great sounding books. I'd love a chance at the free read!