Monday, March 20, 2006

It's Spring...

Today is the day when bold kites fly,
When cumulus clouds roar across the sky.
When robins return, when children cheer,
When light rain beckons spring to appear.
Today is the day when daffodils bloom,
Which children pick to fill the room,
Today is the day when grasses green,
When leaves burst forth for spring to be seen.
--- Robert McCracken---

Happy, happy spring :)
I spent much of the weekend in my backyard flower beds. Someone in years past had lined the whole bed with black plastic, dumped dirt on the top and thrown broken concrete on the top of that. The only purpose for this as far as I can tell was to choke out whatever was growing underneath. We bought the house last spring and with all the other projects, I never got to the backyard ones. I have made it my mission this spring to restore those old flower beds. I had ordered shade loving plants from the Michigan Bulb Company and Brecks during the winter and they arrived Saturday. I knew they were on the way, yet I hadn't prepared my beds...procrastination! I spent Saturday moving the rocks and old concrete, shoveling dirt and pulling up plastic. Riff took pity on me and came to help with the carting off of debris. Thank God for helpful husbands!! Pulling up the old plastic, I unearthed some wonderful finds. There were several clumps of spring bulbs still trying to push their way up to the sun, even through the plastic. Very determined little things! I also found a Clematis. I just can't imagine why someone would cover them up. By the time the sun set Saturday, the bed was free of nasties and ready for compost. Sunday morning we were up with the Robins, (that Boots was trying to hunt with no luck!), and turning compost and steer manure into the beds. A carefully placed bit of driftwood and I was ready to plant. Shortly, with any luck, I will have a riot of Lady Ferns, Widows Tears, Daylilies, Bleeding Hearts, Astibles, Lily of the Valley, Sweet-Peas, Snapdragons, Nastursiums, Delphiniums and Chammomile. Some of these I planted from seed, so only time will tell... Riff then covered it all with chicken wire for me. We decided to try that to keep the dogs, Blackie and Hannah out until the plants are established. I don't think they will bother with it after the plants grow. I hope I'm right...

Sunday afternoon we went to Fort Clatsop to listen to one of my favorite authors speak. Jane Kirkpatrick writes Christian historical fiction based closely on the true lives of women. The first book of hers that I had read is called "A Gathering of Finches" and features Cassie Simpson. Cassie was the wife of Louis Simpson, timber baron and co-founder of North Bend, Oregon. Louis built a mansion and botanical garden for Cassie which is now a state park known as Shore Acres outside of Coos Bay. Wonderful story that even Riff has read. The latest 3 book series that I have read is about Marie Dorian who was the only woman in the Astor party.(The first expedition to the Pacific Northwest after Lewis and Clark). Very good books. Check out her website at www.jkbooks.com
Happy reading.......

1 comment:

Petunia's Gardener said...

That will be quite a change you've made to those flower beds. We've run into layers & layers at our house too. Some have so much pine bark, the previous owners planted stuff directly in it-no dirt. Poor plants. Slowly, I'm getting them re-established. But, then, I get distracted by the veggies & herbs. Thanks for visiting!