Monday, March 13, 2006

These are a few of my favorite things...

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things...
...from The Sound of Music....

Some of MY favorite things
1) breakfast
2) walks on the beach
3) folk art painting
4) baking
5) gardening
6) reading
7) cooking
8) bubble baths

Ever have one of those days where all you do are things that you enjoy? They are rare and unexpected gifts. Sunday was that day for me. Riff and I rose early, watched the sun peek its delightful face out of the clouds, then decided we needed some breakfast that wasn't available in our refrigerator. We headed down to the Wet Dog Cafe', sat at a window table watching the ships go by and had a very nice breakfast. We then loaded up the dogs and took a long walk on the beach. The dogs chased the sandpipers and splashed happily in the incoming tide. We met only one other beachcomber on the first leg of our walk and possibly five on the return journey. Such crowds should not be tolerated!!
Back at home, I gathered up my JoSonja paints, brushes, and paraphenelia and headed to Shilo's room. Shilo had a bit of an unpleasant experience with a rat(?) (the creature was bigger than a mouse, but not at all your typical rat size) this winter who had gotten into our basement and chewed an actual mouse-hole into Shilo's room. Boots, our kitten, had spent the night with Shilo and a "cat and mouse game" had insued. Shilo spent the next several nights upstairs in the guest room until the invader was caught and dealt with severly. Anyway, back to my paint brushes, I proceeded to paint an adorable "Rat Hole", including the rat, in the now repaired original spot.
My next stop for the day was in the kitchen. I had recieved the most recent issue of "Cottage Living" last week and thought the cookies on page 116 looked wonderful. I can't recall what they were called, but they turned out wonderful. The dough is flavored with baking cocoa and a touch of peanut butter. You then have a mixture of peanut butter and powdered sugar that you roll into small balls and press into the middle of your chocolate dough. Before baking you dip the top of the cookie in sugar. Delightful!!
The cookies were fininshed and the sun was still shining strong so I ventured out to my stone planter boxes that line the front walk. In no time, I had my hands dirty and the old leaves and dead stems out. The primroses are blooming and ready for some friends to join them, although the weather isn't cooperating just yet.
Now, it seemed to me, was a little time for some reading, so I grabbed "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova and settled in on my sunporch. I am about a third of the way through this book and am enjoying my trip to Dracula's lair.
Thirty minutes later my stomach was starting to growl, so I made my way to the kitchen. I found two naked chickens waiting for me, seasoned them up and threw them in the oven. They came out very moist and flavorful. I don't know why I don't roast chicken more often. It sure is good.
After dinner, Riff cleaned up and I enjoyed a nice long bubble bath.
I hope you enjoyed your Sunday as well as I enjoyed mine!
These are a few of my favorite things....

No comments: