Thursday, July 17, 2008

Pancakes??


(originally uploaded here on flickr)
Have you ever done anything so silly that even though you don't have to admit it to anyone, you can't help but tell on yourself because it is just so dumb? Happens to me quite often, actually. I guess it doesn't really "happen" to me; I am the cause.
My latest story involves my little red cookbook. You know the kind that comes with blank pages and you write in your favorite family recipes? That's the one that was laid out on my kitchen counter. I have alot of problems with foods and stomach issues in general. I always have to be careful about what I eat, but it also seems to go in cycles and sometimes, for months on end, anything I eat makes me sick. I'm in one of those not so good cycles right now, but get hungry and have to eat something. The other day, about mid-day, I was starving but had had a really bad food day the day before, so was being extremely cautious. I decided that pancakes sounded good and might not completely tear me up. I got out the aforementioned cookbook, flipped it open to the "Bread" section where I keep our family pancake recipe and started whipping up the ingrediants in my glass batter bowl. Shilo was sitting in the kitchen chattering away to me (see, I think maybe it was HER fault!) while I was flinging flour around the room. I, apparently unconciously, finished the last step and then started paying attention to what I was doing. WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THIS BATTER?? My griddle is hot and spattering butter around, just waiting for those pancakes to start sizzling on the grill, syrup standing ready and at attention. I've got a puzzled look on my face ~ good grief, this looks like bread dough. Did I use to much flour?? I make pancakes all the time. This is weird. A quick glance at my cookbook and realization dawns.... That's not my pancake recipe. That's my biscuit recipe. What a dummy. Shilo, at this point, is rolling around the kitchen in hysterics. Can you believe that my 18 year old smartie-pants had the nerve to call her mother an idiot? All in jest, of course!
I do make fantastic biscuits, if I do say so myself, and they are one of Riff's favorite things, so the rest of the family was pleased as punch. I never did get my pancakes....

So, what silly, unconcious thing have you done lately??

14 comments:

Wila (aka Ali) said...

I do those things a lot too. Just yesterday, actually...

PB called me in a panic from work. He needed me to jet over to his house and go down to the basement and turn off the main power breaker. Long story...but, the power had been turned off by the power company, and they would not turn it back on if the inside box was on.

I head to the basement, nifty camping headlamp in hand (I got it for him for xmas...knew it would come in handy). I open the door and flip the light switch. "Why isn't it working??" I think. HELLO!?!? The whole reason I was IN THE HOUSE was that it had NO POWER. I felt really dumb.

It made me chuckle at myself, though. Sometimes I feel I'm too "blonde" like that, and it's almost embarassing!!

Anonymous said...

Very funny! But your biscuit looks delicious! I do silly things all the time-and my girls are usually there to point them out to me.

Happy Zombie said...

So when is the On A Rainy Night Cafe going to open for business???????!!!!!!!!

calicodaisy said...

Pancakes, biscuits? I'm ready! I need a nice late night supper.

Yolanda said...

This looks yummy.I think we all do silly things.

Anonymous said...

I can't think of any concoctions I've recently messed up. Probably will after I hit submit.
But I hate not paying attention to what I'm drinking...drinking a soft drink and expecting milk.
Goes down hard!

Cris said...

Those look so good Paula, do you mind sharing your biscuits recipe? :-) I do silly things all the time, like trying to open the entrance gate somewhere else using my home remote control...

Unknown said...

I hope you could eat the bisquit's. I'm sure they where yummy!!!
Not to long ago I poured flour in my sugar container & had to dump it out. Flour is just not good in Koolaid!

Mary said...

Paula,

I haven't done anything like that in a while. I'm sure it was menopause that caused me to do silly things.

The biscuits look delicious. I'm do hope you were able to enjoy some of them. Stomach problems are no fun and that I can vouch for. Hope things get better.

Blessings for a great weekend.
Mary

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you try and pin your cooking mistake on me!!!! How ruuuude. :) They were very good with honey all over them. yum. deliscious.

Shilo

Terri said...

I make terrible biscuts. That's why I had to leave the south!

Jeni said...

WOW! Well I can't think of anytime I have ever started to make one thing and managed to whip up something totally different although heaven knows, I have made a lot of kitchen errors in my day! But boy, that biscuit looks really, REALLY enticing and inviting -calling my name and you've just made me really, REALLY hungry now too!

Anonymous said...

LOL.
How did your biscuits end up?

By the way, I never use a recipe for my pancakes.

Anonymous said...

I love this entry! I once followed the direction for hot chocolate on the back of the Hershey's box and ended up with the beginning of fudge. Don't ask me how I didn't catch that!

Blessings!
Lacy

RazorFamilyFarms.com