Thursday, September 24, 2009

Knocked Up


Becky at Twisted Fenceposthas been doing posts called Wheedle Wednesday. In these posts she says a word and you the reader are to comment with the first thought that comes to mind when you see the word. I'm a slacker and have missed all but the first Wheedle Wednesday, so tonight I tried to catch up. Two weeks ago, the word was 'Knock'. Now when I think of the word knock a funny story comes to mind.

Jeanne, a friend and co-worker of mine in my Wyoming days, was in England to visit family and see some of the land and sights of her ancestry. She had asked at the front desk of her hotel for a wake-up call on the morning of her departure back to the states. Imagine Jeanne's surprise the next morning when there is a sharp rap rap rap and the equivalent of a Towne Crier calls through the door, "I'm here to knock you up!"

Many years later Jeanne still can hardly get the story out through the tears and hoots of laughter that she can't contain. Funny how one simple word can have such a different meaning from place to place. Of course, our version of knocked up is very much slang, and raping on a door to knock someone up really makes a whole lot more sense.

5 comments:

Twisted Fencepost said...

Ha, that is funny!
If someone were to say that at my door, I wouldn't know to whether to run the other way or grab a baseball bat. tee hee
That one phrase definitely means two completely different things. Reminds you to be careful what you say when you're in another country.
Thank for playing the Wheedles with me!

Shelby said...

that IS funny :0

happy friday !

Adrienne said...

That is SO funny! I love your header - makes me ready to head your way, buy a house near yours with a view of the bay! ~Adrienne~

Adrienne said...

Oh my gosh - I laughed out loud! Very loudly I might add ;-)

Thanks for the giggle.

I love your new header - beautiful.

Unknown said...

That is so funny. I remember when Riff said that while I was visiting. I thought "What" until you guys told me the story.